Sunday, April 14, 2013

I am NOT a machine!


Today's Blog I just want to Thank God!

I learned sign language because I wanted to be a real friend to deaf people.  I did NOT learn sign language so I could be an interpreter.  But since I am hearing, it comes with the knowledge of signing.  I would be very content just sitting next to them, among them, being part of them rather than standing up front.....yet God let me know many years ago, that HE taught me sign languge  and that there were MANY deaf people who did not know about Jesus dying for them.  Go ye into all the world....and for me, it was into the Deaf world.   I was THRILLED to be in the deaf world, so I am VERY comfortable around deaf people, yet I surrender my "INTERPRETING" to Him regularly. 

One thing we "learn" as Interpreters is to process what is being said but not to retain it, so when the deaf person asks us a question, we can honestly say we do not know, and they learn to direct their questions to the doctor, instructor, etc and not bombard us with questions when we get out of the situation.  We are trained to be "machines" if you will.  We are not to become bonded or personally attached to our "Deaf clients" lest they take advantage of our interpreting skills. We are trained to process everything correctly, but not to retain it.

When God suggested I interpret in Church, I told him basically NO because it was my Church service too!  Sunday was my worship day and I did not want to be a machine and then when the day was over.....my heart was empty.   He just quietly reminded me that HE is the one who taught me.  I asked God if He would allow me to take the sermon to heart myself, even though, I was interpreting.  I did not want to be a machine on Sunday.  I needed and WANTED to worship my Lord Jesus on the day HE has asked us to worship Him.  

I am here to testify that GOD indeed answered that prayer.  I am so thankful that even though I am listening to english and signing in ASL.....I am not a machine on Sunday.   The precious Holy Spirit grips my heart, moves deeply within me just as if I was sitting in the pew.   I am ever so Thankful for this gift the Lord has graciously bestowed upon me.

The only thing I have not figured out yet, is HOW do I go forward and kneel at the altar when I need to interpret.  That happened this morning.   I told God that my heart is at the Altar, and He hugged me with HIS approval.  Faithful to the task before me, yet Faithful to the Holy Spirit within.   I am every grateful that I am not an Interpreting machine on Sundays!

Thank you Lord Jesus!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of
plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of exclusive content I've either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help protect against content from being ripped off? I'd
definitely appreciate it.

Also visit my site ... Body mass index Chart