Friday, May 4, 2007

Never too old to learn

I must say I am ashamed of myself at what I am about to confess.

Let me explain:

Our adult daughter lives with us and I do her laundry every week. I do it mostly because I enjoy it and the washer and dryer are located in OUR bathroom. Our bedroom and bathroom are off limits to others, hubby and I reserve the LOVE SUITE for us (smile).

The last few weeks we have been out of town on the weekdays and I try to get everything done, but I have had to leave a few things in the dryer. Last week when I came home, exhausted on Friday night, I found our little load of towels in a heap on our bed. Now I always wash, dry, fold and take hers into her room. She takes my laundry out and plops it unfolded on our bed so she can do hers. Yes, a bit of anger rose within me. 'What would have been so difficult to fold up the few towels that I had left in the dryer?', my mind argued. OF course my dryer was full of her clothes. So for the first time EVER in her lifetime, I emptied the contents into a basket and put them in her room. I felt dirty inside for doing so. I knew I was justified by human standards, but it wasnt me. I love her.

She didnt say one word about the fact that I had not folded her clothes. I knew that her clothes would look alot more wrinkled every time she got dressed this last week. I felt bad inside for having been so selfish and unloving.

This last week I received a phone call which led to out-of-state travel plans. The trip was unexpected. It was a trip of LOVE. After my mom, my sister and I were on the road, my sister handed me an envelope. She said it was from my daughter. My daughter had put half of her paycheck into an envelop for me, to be sure I had enough money for this unexpected trip! She gave it to my sister to deliver saying that Mom would never accept it otherwise.

Well you can imagine what this did to my heart. She may not fold my clothes but she DOES love me and shows me in HER way, not my way.

I didn't end up needing her money, so was able to give it all back to her, but it would not have been necessary. She gave out of her love for me. Just like I do laundry for her. In fact she came back from being with her horse early knowing I would not have a car when I got home and I may need to go somewhere.

Her clothes are now in the washer and I will have them folded and in her room when she gets out of work.

I am never too old to learn, and neither are you (smile).

"Lord, Help me to love like You love---unconditionally!"

No comments: