Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday



Since my children were babies, I have had my idea of the PERFECT WAY to spend GOOD FRIDAY afternoon.

[Now, I rarely get to truly spend it this way, but my heart does every year.]

When the children were tiny, I would gather them into the living room, we would turn off most of the lights, the TV and all sound. And from 1:00 until 3:00, we would sit in silence, sing, or read the Bible.

[When life got busier and they didn't want to comply with my ideas of silence,.....I started to only celebrate this way in my heart.]

There is something so precious and holy to ME about Good Friday. I have felt this more strongly as I age and have experienced grief over the death of loved ones and friends. I have been with people when their child died, or their spouse died and the loss and grief cannot be described. I can only imagine how Mary felt watching her precious, oldest son, being tortured and hung publicly on that cross of shame. I can only imagine the confusion in the minds of the disciples and other followers, who did not understand why a GOOD man like Jesus, had to die. Many people thought their hopes and dreams ended during the time of the Crucifixion.

I don't know what you plan to do today from 1:00 - 3:00, and I don't know what I will actually be doing either.....but my heart will go to a dark room and be EVER GRATFUL that He hung on that cross, shed His blood.....for ME!

Another special GOOD FRIDAY happened in Watson Bible Chapel, several years ago. A group of us marched in to Service that day with black flags and we waved them in different formations to depict the song: Via Dialosa. THAT was a spiritually powerful experience for me that I have never forgotten.

Whatever your body does this afternoon.....silence your heart, and bow your knee.

And Remember: Sunday is coming!

No comments: