Thursday, October 3, 2013

DESPERATE!!!

I must admit: 

I am not the world's best cook....yet I do not like to waste things....oh and we are vegetarian.  


SO here was my issue:  

My sister told me about a bean veggie soup mix to buy that had no sodium  in it and she and her husband had really liked it.   So while at the store, I phoned her for further guidance to be sure I was getting the RIGHT soup mix.  She said she had added more water than it had called for and even added a few cut up potatoes and carrots to make it more hearty.

SO....I emptied the soup mix into the crockpot, put in a lot of water and added some cut up potatoes.  The directions said to bring to a boil, then to let it simmer for some time.   SO I put it on high for about an hour and then on low.   SOUNDS GOOD, HEY?

Well when it was time to eat, I had the shock of my life!

The crockpot was not only full to the top but DENSE, there was no more liquid to be seen! 
So much for the SOUP idea.  I called my sister and she informed me she only used a CUP of the soup mix where I had put in the entire bag!  ( I KNOW, Bonnie read the directions!)

I refuse to just sit and condemn myself which my insides were standing up wanting to do.  I told those condemning inner voices to "SIT DOWN, that all would be well".

I set a pretty table and served this to my hungry hubby along with fresh rolls.  I even confessed and told him it was suppose to be soup.  He said,  "I would rather eat supper with a fork, than a spoon anyway."  (I married a great guy, hey?)  He proceeded to tell me he REALLY  LIKED it!    It was all I could do to get it down.  It looked like mush to me.  But he truly ate a couple of helpings and said again, "I really did like it."

WELL.....there was quite abit left over.   What do I do now?


I took the mushy yucky, BUT HEALTHY bean concoction and spooned them into  two small meatloaf pans.  One went into the frig and one into the freezer.

TONIGHT we have a guest for supper.   YEP.....I decided on the new meat-less dish!


I took the solid block of "whatever" out of the fridge and cut it up like slices of "meatloaf".  I put in a iron skillet and covered the whole thing with mushroom soup (water added).  Then I let is simmer while the baked potatoes and mixed veggies were cooking.  

I cautiously (but confidently - sort of)  put all of this on our table before my hubby, myself and our guest.    I even told our guest the story.

My hubby and our guest devoured the entire pan.  They said they both LOVED IT!   I graciously let them enjoy the whole pan, while I chose to eat all the other items. lol

I am not sure if I made a fabulous dish from a big blunder, or if these two men are just extra  sweet.

Bet you all want to come to dinner now at my house, hey?  

 

But I do know that God can take a blunder of a person and create a miracle,
and I am made in HIS image!  

No comments: