Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Walk to End Alzheimer's

The terrible disease,  called 
ALZHEIMERS, has touched my life via several dear friends in our Church.  Breaks my heart to watch them change before my eyes.  Equally breaks my heart to know the extra hard load their spouses have to care for them daily as they also watch their loved one change before their eyes.   What heartache.  

As a result of these dear folks, I was recently doing an internet search on the disease and learned that our city was having a "Walk to End Alzheimers".   With only three days before the event I was not sure I could join it, but found out that I could!   I knew I would not be able to bring in much revenue, but WANTED to represent these dear loved ones in some kind of ACTION.  So I did walk....and was thrilled to raise $70.00 towards the study of Alzheimers in those three days.

Several people mentioned they would be VERY interested in walking WITH me next year, so hopefully we can have a TEAM to walk on behalf of the many precious loved ones suffering from this disease.

Because I was an "individual" walking, I decided to bring along my "Granny Puppet".  Granny has gotten lots of hugs from nursing home residents as our Church group called "Hands of Faith" ministers in various facilities in the winter.  "Granny" indeed  drew attention and allowed me to share about our church ministry to bring JOY and JESUS to those struggling with old age and Alzheimers in particular.

I try to spend as much time as I can with a lady friend who struggles with memory loss.  I am aware how this allows her husband to do some much needed tasks that he otherwise has a hard time accomplishing.  Two weeks ago I tried to play CHECKERS with my friend, but she truly had NO CLUE how to play any longer, and yet she used to beat her every competitor.   This week I tried a new game:  MEMORY, and she surprised me how very well she could play that game!   I was elated! 

 As I was thinking about this couple, the radio was playing the song : "I WILL BE HERE"....and I am thinking this Steven Curtis Chapman song could be the theme song of my friend's spouse.  Day after day he graciously sees past the disease to the woman he has always cherished and will until "Death us do part."  

He truly lays down his life. 
He truly loves her like Christ loves the Church. 

[Lord Jesus, I ask YOU to bless all the caregivers who do their best day after day to care for their loved one who is changing and disappearing before their eyes everyday.   Lord Jesus,  please help people to find a cure for this disease that steals so much from us.  Lord Jesus, raise up young people who will love their spouses to the end, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, etc.  Lord Jesus, help Your Church to truly LOVE people......all people.  Give us Your heart, Lord. Thank You, Lord]


"I Will Be Here"
Tomorrow morning if you wake up
And the sun does not appear
I... I will be here
If in the dark we lose sight of love
Hold my hand and have no fear
'Cause I... I will be here

I will be here
When you feel like being quiet
When you need to speak your mind
I will listen
And I will be here
When the laughter turns to crying
Through the winning, losing and trying
We'll be together
'Cause I will be here

Tomorrow morning if you wake up
And the future is unclear
I... I will be here
As sure as seasons are made for change
Our lifetimes are made for years
So I... I will be here

I will be here
And you can cry on my shoulder
When the mirror tells us we're older
I will hold you
And I will be here
To watch you grow in beauty
And tell you all the things you are to me
I will be here, hmmm

I will be true to the promise I have made
To you and to the One who gave you to me

And just as sure as seasons are made for change
Our lifetimes are made for years
So I... I will be here
We'll be together
I will be here


No comments: